BSc (CS) Program Overview:
The Bachelor of Science in Computer Science BSc (CS) degree is a four (4) year program that is specifically designed to provide:
- Technical knowledge, skills and background in the design and organization of computer systems.
- The ability to critically evaluate design paradigms, languages, algorithms, and techniques used to develop complex network systems.
- The ability to evaluate and respond to opportunities for developing and exploiting new technologies.
It focuses on the practical and theoretical dimensions of computer science, and prepares students for careers in the fields of software development, computer networking and security.The concentration in networking focuses on network infrastructure and network security aspects and prepares students to handle information technology (IT) security infrastructure challenges that arise in the design, analysis, and implementation of computer networks. This concentration emphasizes the theory and technology behind network design, operation, performance, and defence against security threats
BSc (CS) Program Objectives:
The objectives of the Computer Science program are to enable graduates to:
1. Acquire and develop in-demand knowledge, skills and experiences that enable graduates to:
2. Be valued employees in a wide variety of occupations in industry, government and academia, in particular as computer scientists and software engineers;
3. Model, simulate, and solve computational problems using appropriate theoretical and experimental methods, producing reliable and secure network systems;
4. Design, implement, and evaluate a computer-based system, process, component, or program to meet desired needs.
5. Apply mathematical foundations, algorithm principles, and computer science theory in the modelling and design of computer-based systems in a way that demonstrates comprehension of the tradeoffs involved in design choices.
6. Analyze a problem, and identify and define the computing requirements appropriate to its solution
BSc (CS) Program Graduation Requirements
To be eligible for the award of the degree Bachelor of Science in Computer Science BSc (CS), students must satisfy the following requirements:
1. Completion of the five (5) Foundation courses as stipulated annually in the Student Handbook or other University documentation:
- Introduction to Accounting
- Organizational Behavior
- Computational Mathematics
- Introduction to Programming
- Information Systems Concepts
2. Completion of the following nineteen (19) IT courses:
- Introduction to Networking
- Programming with C
- Introduction to Operating Systems
- Database Design
- Numerical Analysis
- Computer Hardware
- Algorithms and Data Structure
- Advanced Networking
- Computer Architecture
- Systems Analysis and Design
- Network Security & Firewalls
- Advanced Operating Systems
- Compiler Theory and construction
- Microprocessor Systems
- Human Computer Iteration
- Object Oriented Programming with C++
- Contemporary Issues in Computer Science
- Networks and Distributed Systems
- Artificial Intelligence
Completion of Business and Personal Ethics
Completion of one (1) Final Year Project
Completion of six (5) Bridging courses:
Completion of four (4) Christian Thought and Practice
Not less than seventy (70) percent Chapel Attendance
Attend an Introduction to University Studies Seminar
Attend an HIV/AIDS Seminar
Complete a Community Development Seminar
Complete a Career Development Seminar
Complete (4) Service Learning participations
The Major for the BSc (CS) program is computer science.
Students who embark on this Major will have knowledge and skills in both networking and security thus this program does not provide for Minors.